Friday, September 9, 2016

Cloudy With a Chance of Burritos?

The other day my friend sent me a text message. The text was a link to an article on CNN titled "Google Drones will deliver Chipotle burritos at Virginia Tech". After reading the title alone I went through about 5 different emotions in that moment: shock, disbelief, anger, jealousy, and more jealousy. Hopefully it's obvious why (if not, Virginia Tech is my hometown, though I do not attend VT; and who wouldn't want Chipotle delivered to them on campus?). After taking a second and getting over myself, I took the time to read the article. I found it to be a fairly interesting, short read. Google is taking the time to test out drones and how to package sensitive items. Reading also made me realize that it's not what it seems. Not everyone gets burritos, only a select few in a closed off area of their campus. This knowledge gave me a sort of glee.

However, with all the drone testing happening with not just Google but with many different companies over the past few years, this shouldn't really be a shocking thing to me. Amazon has been doing similar testing in California, not with burritos -- obviously -- but still. Dominos has been testing pizza delivery by drones in New Zealand (someone take me to New Zealand, please!). Therefore, why not Virginia Tech and Chipotle burritos? Virginia Tech is one of the best engineering schools (top 20), so why not test one of the leading innovations there? Their engineering program is outstanding. For example, I know a student has made a magnetic lock for his apartment door... seriously, who does that?! 

Anyways, I'm hoping Google will want to continue testing their drones in other locations, namely anywhere I am. I also hope that they have lots of success so that drones can deliver food everywhere. Because, let's be honest, that would be pretty awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment